Have we talked about the time I decided to make enough pizza dough for 20+ individual pizzas? Well, let me tell you it is super easy to make a few pizzas worth of dough by hand. However, I don't recommend making dough for 20 by mixing it all by hand from start to finish. It was 100% worth it for my very first "Build-Your-Own" Pizza Night for one of my gal's 21st birthday.
Let's just say that all I wanted for my birthday a few months later was a KitchenAid Mixer.
This is also a perfect basic dough to use for appetizer flatbreads, breakfast pizza or just to cut into strips and twist with some cheese and Italian seasoning as an appetizer.
- 3/4 Cup warm water
- 1/2 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a medium bowl, stir together water, yeast, and sugar. Set aside for five minutes to proof [small bubbles will form on top].
- Add the flour and salt into the wet ingredient bowl and mix until a dough forms.
- Lightly flour a cutting board or your countertop. Place dough on lightly floured surface. Knead gently for 10 minutes by hand adding more flour as needed, to form a soft dough. If using your kitchen aid mixer, switch to the dough hook attatchment and knead for 5 minutes adding flour as needed. Dough will pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Cover with a clean towel and let rise for 15 minutes in a warm, dry space. Turning the oven light on and placing inside with the oven off is a great place.
- Either top and bake the dough immediately or refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
- Place in a plastic bag or container large enough to leave extra room for the dough to expand.
- Can freeze for up to six months
- To Thaw, place the frozen dough in the fridge for several hours to thaw. Remove from fridge 30 minutes before baking and allow to rise. Top, bake, and enjoy!
- After allowing the dough to rise for the 15 minutes, wrap dough in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator over night. Remove dough and unwrap 30 minutes before serving. Place in a warm place for the dough to rise a second time. Roll, top and cook like normal.