This healthy chicken piccata salad solves a problem I have had for a while — I wanted a dish that could be packed up for a picnic, going out on the boat for the day, a hike. Something that was meat-protein heavy.
Other things that make this a great dish.
- A++ to bring to a summer potluck
- Serve alongside a big salad if you are having vegan/vegetarian friends over — You are making the meat the side dish, for once.
- I LOVE this for Meal Prep
I love the flavors of chicken piccata! The bright lemon + the brine-y capers are an ideal situation in my book. Add in the parmesan cheese and oh baby…. this is my ideal “chicken salad.”
This chicken piccata salad requires just 10 ingredients to make!
Let’s make Chicken Picatta Salad
Start by cooking the chicken breasts in a 400-degree oven. Coat the chicken breasts in a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook the chicken breasts for 22-26 minutes or until the chicken breast has an internal temperature to 165 degrees.
While this is happening it is time to combine all the rest of the ingredients in a bowl.
After the chicken is cooked, place the chicken breasts in the fridge to cool for roughly 1 hour. If you need them to cool faster, feel free to wait for the chicken breasts to rest for 5 minutes and then cut into 1″ cubes.
Once the chicken is cooked and cubed mix it with all of the other chicken salad ingredients.
It is best if to allow the entire salad to sit in the fridge for an hour or two. Even better, let it sit overnight. This allows all the flavors to combine. You are about to enjoy one of those dishes that get better with time.
My personal favorite way to eat this healthy chicken salad…
If I want to add some greens to this, I love piling arugula into a bow. Squeeze the juice of 1/4 of a lemon over the arugula and sprinkle with a pink of salt. Toss the arugula with the salt and lemon. Top the entire thing with the healthy chicken piccata salad and you have a quick easy dinner or lunch.
If you are making this healthy chicken salad ahead of time be sure to store it in an airtight container in the fridge. I would recommend eating it within 3 days.
Vegetarian + Vegan This one isn’t for you my friends. However, I would suggest making another hearty salad and serving this as more of a side dish for those that like to eat meat.
Dairy-Free – Leave the cheese on the side.
Gluten-Free – You are good to go!
Nut-Free – Leave the nuts on the side. Careful of cross-contamination. Don’t transport chopped nuts in the salad bowl, even if they are in a separate container.
Side Salad – Serves 4-5
Main Dish – Serves 3-4 – Love to serve this on top of a salad
I hope you LOVE this chicken salad! It’s:
Easy to prep ahead
Perfect for a picnic
A lovely side dish for a potluck
& Tastes oh so fresh!
If you try this healthy chicken salad recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #eternalhostess on Instagram. Enjoy!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon capers (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup parmesan (shredded)
- 1/4 cup green onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup basil (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat the chicken breasts with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Bake chicken breasts for 22-26 minutes or until they reach 165°F.
- Place cooked chicken in a bowl and allow to cool in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile combine lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, capers, slivered almonds, pine nuts, parmesan, green onions, parsley and basil.
- Once chicken has cooled, cut chicken breasts into 1" cubes. Add chicken breasts to salad. Toss to combine.
- Salad can be served immediately, but best to allow to sit and combine for at least 2 hours.
- This is a great dish to make the night before! It tastes better the longer that it sits.