Anyone else just not into mayo covered side dishes? I've got the exact opposite here with this Citrus Herb Potato Salad.
Why am I obsessed with this citrus herb potato salad?
It's bright, tangy, covered in fresh herbs.
Basically everything I want in a summer side dish.
Am I alone?
I think not.
These potato salad require just 8 ingredients to make!
It is also made entirely out of pantry staple type ingredients (or at least in my house, where I make sure I always have fresh herbs + citrus).
Start by cooking your potatoes. I am going to be honest --this is the the most time consuming part of this entire recipe. Which is saying something.
How to Boil Potatoes
You are going to start by scrubbing the potatoes clean. Cut the potatoes into 1/2" cubes. Add the potatoes to a large pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes by 1". Add a big heaping tablespoon of salt for this recipe.
Turn the stove heat to high, and bring the potatoes to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes piece easily with a fork -- About 15 minutes if you followed my instructions above and cut them. If you left them whole, no worries it will take roughly 20 minutes.
Drain the potatoes in a colander. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and place the bowl of potatoes in your fridge for roughly 1 hour. If you are in a rush, spread the potatoes out out on a sheet pan in a single layer so that they can cool faster.
Let's Mix up the Citrus Herb Potato Salad
You can skip the cooling of the potatoes step and mix in all the herbs + citrus now and chill after, but you might have some of the herbs wilt. It will still taste the same. I don't know how your day is going. Maybe you are in a rush, so up to you!
Now it’s time to assemble! Simply:
- Add roughly chopped parsley, cilantro, and scallions.
- Add lemon juice, lime juice, and olive oil.
- Give it a quick mix.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
If you forgot to salt your water when you cooked your potatoes, they are likely going to require a lot more salt here.
This citrus herb potato salad is one of those dishes that gets better if you let it chill and soak in all the flavors. It will taste delicious if you serve right after adding all the other ingredients to the potatoes. However, chilling for at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight is going to be your best bet.
If you don't have time for that, I highly recommend doubling the recipe so that you can enjoy the amp'ed up flavor as leftovers the next day.
I hope you LOVE this potato salad. It's:
Easy to make ahead
Great for almost all dietary restrictions
& A great way to feed a crowd.
This is a perfect side dish for my Sweet + Spicy Oven Baked Ribs!
Looking for another hearty side dish for your summer barbecue? Give this Mediterranean Lentil Salad a try.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #eternalhostess on Instagram. Enjoy!
- 9 large yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 scallions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (approximately 2 limes)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (approximately 2 lemons)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Chop potatoes into 1/2" cubes. Place in a large pot. Add water until potatoes are covered. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Bring potatoes to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce stove to low and simmer uncovered for roughly 15 minutes or until fork tender. Cool completely and peel. Add herbs and spices. Add lime juice and olive oil until consistence is right (firm, not pasty or mushy).
- Drain potatoes. Transfer to a bowl or sheet pan and place in fridge to cool - roughly30 minutes if potatoes are spread out in a single layer.
Mix Potato Salad
- In a large bowl, combine scallions, parsely, cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, olive oil, ground pepper and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Once potatoes are cool to the touch, mix them into the bowl. Adjust salt, citrus, and garlic powder to taste.
- For best results, cover and allow ingredients to combine for 1 hour or even overnight. Can be served immediately.