Here we have my most requested recipe. Dearest IRL friends. It is here – Mediterranean Lentil Salad
I get requests to bring this lentil salad to every ladies night, summer picnic, beach day, or potluck. People go wild over this salad. The best part is… it is stupid easy. Especially if you use my my secret weapon for this pre-cooked lentils.
Here are the ones that I pick up at Trader Joes, but I have seen quite a pre-cooked lentils in quite a few stores.
If you aren’t going to use the pre-cooked lentils then I highly suggest using black beluga lentils.
HOW TO COOK BELUGA LENTILS – Bring the beluga lentils to a simmer. Reduce to heat to low and cover, stirring occasionally and adding liquid if necessary, until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Begin tasting for your desired texture at 15 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking.
You cover the lentils with freshly chopped tomatoes, cucumber and bell peppers. Then add a copious amount of herbs and a dash of spice. Fun Fact : Kalamata Olives are my all-time favorite food. Therefore, I go heavy on those, but add the olives to taste. Feta cheese is basically the cherry on top here.
This dish is perfect to serve as a side dish that is secretly a vegan/vegetarian main dish. Just leave the feta cheese off or serve it on the side and you are good to go!
Some fun facts about this dish. It’s:
Easy to transport
Just as good if you make it ahead
Quick and Easy
Consider this your go-to potluck dish, meal prep dish, or last minute side dish for spring and summer.
Looking for other dishes that are a side dish that doubles as a main dish for someone with a dietary restrictions – Take a peek at Everything Roasted Tomato Yogurt, Warm Chicken Apple Sausage Breakfast Salad, or Roasted Carrot and Farro Salad.
If you try this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #theeternalhostess on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
- 2 cups green lentils (I prefer any storebought pre-cooked (normally green lentils) OR cook beluga lentils at home)
- 2 red bell peppers (diced)
- 1 cup tomatoes (diced)
- 1 large cucumber (diced)
- 1 cup parsley (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 cup mint (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons z'atar (OPTIONAL)
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup feta (crumbled)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl combine cooked lentils, bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley, mint, kalamata olives, feta, and za’atar.
- In a small bowl whisk red wine vinegar and dijion mustard to combine. Whisk the red wine mixutre while slowly streaming in the olive oil. Once all combined, add salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over the lentil mixture. Mix to combine.