Mexican slaw combines all the best things, in my opinion. A little heat, a little acid, lots of veggies and a punch of flavor.
AND this spicy Mexican slaw gets better the longer it sits making it the perfect dish to prepare ahead of time or even meal prep for the week.
This Mexican slaw requires just 7 ingredients to make.
Start by finely slicing the cabbage and finely chopping the jalapeno. Roughly chop the cilantro and add the cabbage, jalapeno, and cilantro to a large bowl.
Combine lime juice, olive oil, cumin and salt in a bowl or small jar. Mix or shake (don't forget the lid!) to combine.
Add the dressing to the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.
What should I serve with this slaw?
This is a perfect side dish or base for your next Mexican night, taco bar, or side dish with your burritos. Some specific ideas for you::
- Mix with salad greens as a base for taco salad
- Serve as a side dish with tacos or burritos
- Use instead of rice in your burritos
- Meal prep this for the week. Top the Mexican slaw with your favorite protein (Check out this carnitas recipe) for a complete lunch
- Make a burrito bowl with Mexican slaw, Rice, Beans, and top with your fav protein, salsa, and maybe some guacamole.
- Pair this with our Instant Pot Citrus Carnitas!
Can I use green cabbage?
Yes! Feel free to substitute green cabbage for the red cabbage. You can also use any bagged slaw mix.
Can I make this ahead of time? How do I store this Mexican Slaw?
Yes! This is a great dish to make ahead of time. This dish actually tastes best if you make it at least a few hours before serving.
You can store this slaw in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
I hope you love this Mexican Slaw! It's:
Easy to Prep Ahead
& A Crowd-Pleaser!
Trying to figure out what to serve with this slaw? Check out our Mexican Black Beans (from a simple can of beans!), Mexican Rice and Street Corn recipes. All are made entirely out of pantry-staples.
Our Instant Pot Citrus Carnitas (oven instruction included) are our favorite protein to pair with this slaw.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #eternalhostess on Instagram. Enjoy!
- 3 cups cabbage (finely sliced)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 jalapeno (finely chopped)
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Add cabbage, cilantro and jalapeno to a bowl.
- In a separate small bowl or jar with a lid combine lime juice, olive oil, cumin and salt. Mix or shake to combine.
- Add dressing to vegetables. Mix to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Cutting Board
- Measuring spoons