This Roasted Carrot and Farro Salad is the ultimate salad to keep in your back pocket this fall. I’ve pretty much always got a carrot or two in my crisper drawer. Although I used farro, you could sub another hearty grain that you have in your pantry (quinoa, croutons, lentils). The cheese is also totally adjustable and this would be just as delicious with goat cheese, for example
I made this salad as a side salad for a big family dinner, but it was secretly the main dish for a friend that is vegetarian. The main meal was meat heavy, and I wanted to make sure that there was an option that worked well for everyone. The rest of the guests had no idea, and I just made sure to tell that one friend to make sure and get to the salad before everyone so that she got a heaping serving.
You could easily prep most of this salad the day-ahead — roast the carrots, cook the farro and make the dressing. The carrots and farro can be warmed up in the oven or the microwave in just a couple minutes on the day you are serving it all.
Oh, and P.S. — If you aren’t into making your own dressing just buy a honey mustard vinaigrette.
I hope you love this hearty side dish! It’s:
Full of fridge/pantry staples
Easy to Prep Ahead
Hearty Enough to be a Main for Someone with Dietary restrictions
& a great weekday dinner. Let’s not limit this to having friends over for dinner.
Want to see the full menu I served this with? Head over here.
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag a photo #theeternalhostess on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
- 4 carrots (cut into thick slices)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup farro (cooked to package directions)
- 12 oz mixed greens
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (finely grated)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook Farro to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut carrots into thick slices. Toss with 2 tsp of olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 20 minutes.
- Combine all salad dressing ingredients in a small bowl or jar. Shake or whisk to combine.
- Layer mixed greens, farro, roasted carrots, and parmesan in a bowl. Toss with stone ground mustard vinaigrette right before serving.
- Sub the honey for agave or just leave it out. Serve the cheese on the side and you've got any vegan friends easily covered!
- I buy farro at Trader Joes. It is in the rice/lentil section.
- Farro is NOT Gluten-Free. You would want to sub this out with lentils or quinoa to make this gluten-free.