- 3 Chicken Breasts
- olive oil (to coat)
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 red pepper (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- ground pepper (to taste)
- 14 oz Canned Tomatoes (Fire Roasted or Plain Diced)
- 4 oz diced green chilies
- 2 tsp Tomato Paste
- 32 oz chicken broth
- 10 corn tortillas (cut into strips)
- 14oz Black Beans (drained and rinsed )
- 1 cup corn
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat chicken in olive oil and garlic. Sprinkle cumin and chili powder, to taste over the chicken breasts. spices and garlic.
- Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Allow to cool. Shred. Set aside. **See Note Below**
- Heat large pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions, bell peppers, garlic, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Saute about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until vegetables have softened.
- Add tomato paste. Mix into vegetables.
- Add tomatoes, diced chilis, broth, and chicken. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and add tortillas. This is also the right time to add corn/beans, if using.
- Simmer for 10 minutes to allow tortillas to break down and thicken soup.