Yes, you did read the recipe title correctly, my friends. I am loving breakfast salad.
I am suggesting you make this Warm Chicken Apple Sausage Breakfast Salad the next time you have your friends over for brunch.
Because it is:
- Ready to serve in 10 minutes
- 10 ingredients
- Healthy AF
- A great option to serve to anyone that is focused on eating whole foods for the start of 2019
- Finally, this recipe doesn't require you to wake up any earlier to have friends over
This is one of those dishes I will cook as the main dish when I have just a few people over for brunch. If I am having a large group of people over, this salad is the perfect side dish that secretly doubles for as a main dish for anyone that has dietary restrictions (not vegetarian or vegan, obviously). Although, this would be pretty darn good if you subbed out white beans for the chicken sausage.
Back to this dish... my Warm Chicken Apple Sausage Breakfast Salad is incredibly easy to cook in mass quantity with one exception -- there will be too many greens for the skillet I suggest below. If you are doubling this recipe, use a pot instead so that you have space to mix all the greens in at the end.
When I meal-prep this dish for myself [Yes, we have yet another use for this dish] I like to cook it for breakfast or lunch and make enough that it will last me for another 2-3 meals. When I eat it myself, I leave off the tahini dressing and top it with pickled beets instead.
If you make my Warm Apple Chicken Sausage Breakfast Salad please be sure to leave a comment and give this recipe a rating! Above all, I love hearing from you all and always do my best to respond to each and every comment.
And of course, if you do make this recipe, don’t forget to also tag me on Instagram! Looking through the photos of recipes you all have made is my favorite!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (divided)
- 1 package chicken apple sausage (sliced)
- 2 apples (sliced -- Best for this are Gala, Envy or Jonagold)
- 20 ounces mixed hearty greens (I love the Trader Joes Cruciferous Mix, but a mix of kale, sliced brussels sprouts and cabbage will work great)
- 2 tablespoons Water
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Tahini Maple Dressing
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons hot water
- pinch Salt
- Melt coconut oil in a large high sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add sliced chicken apple sausage to the pan. Cook until both sides of slices are browned. Approximately 4 minutes each side. Remove sausage from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Melt 1 teaspoon of coconut oil in the pan. Add apple slices. Sauté, stirring occasionally until apples are soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add sausage back into the pan. Add hearty mixed greens. Add 2 tablespoons water and stir until greens have become bright green and softened. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine tahini, apple cider vinegar, and maple syrup. Stir to combine. Add in hot water and stir. Add more hot water if you desire a thinner dressing. Season with a pinch of salt.
Serve with dressing drizzle on top. Another option would be to give a couple options and allow guests to top with either pickled beets, plain yogurt or tahini maple dressing. -COOKING FOR A CROWD -
This recipe incredibly easy to cook in mass quantity with one exception -- there will be too many greens for the skillet I suggest below. If you are doubling this recipe, use a pot instead so that you have space to mix all the greens in at the end.