Chicken Cacciatore [Instant Pot]
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 4 people
Chicken Cacciatore is that fall-off the bone comfort food that you are craving as soon as the weather cools off. This dish is secretly packed with vegetables and deceivingly healthy. Best of all -- it comes together in minutes and can be served with a variety of sides.
- 8 pieces Chicken Bone-in, skinned thighs or drumsticks
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil separated
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 1 large green pepper chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2/3 cup sweet vermouth
- 28 ounces Canned Tomatoes diced, crushed, whole (broken up)
- 1/3 cup crimini mushrooms quartered
- 2 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix flour, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish.
Skin chicken pieces and pat dry. Dredge in flour mixture.
Turn on saute setting of your Instant Pot to high. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pot. Add chicken when oil is hot and brown 2 minutes each side. Remove chicken to plate.
Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pot. Saute onion, green pepper, celery and garlic for 4-5 minutes.
Add vermouth to pot and scrap all the browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, bay leaves, orange zest, red pepper flakes, oregano, fennel seed, thyme, parsley to the pot. Add chicken back into the pot and press them into the liquid to cover chicken pieces.
Set Instant Pot to manual with a cook time of 15 minutes. Allow to naturally release pressure for 10 minutes before switching the top knob to quick release.
Taste and add additional salt and pepper, if needed.
--FEEDING A CROWD --
- If using a traditional pressure cooker -- Cook 12-15 minutes at 15 lbs pressure. Calculate time from time pot begins to steam. When time is up remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes before removing the steam vent.
--PREP AHEAD --
- I made the Chicken Cacciatore in an 8 QT Instant Pot and did a single recipe. The recipe is 4 servings. You could maybe do 1.5 times the recipe in an 8QT Instant Pot, but not a double recipe. If you plan to make this for a larger group of people, I would suggest either making it the day before in multiple batches OR adding an additional side dish, so that people can take 1 piece of chicken instead of two and stretch the meal out.
-- GLUTEN- FREE --
Replace all-purpose flour with a gluten-free purpose flour.
- Best if made ahead and allowed to set overnight to let flavors mingle and intensify.
Calories: 295kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 290mg | Potassium: 840mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1335IU | Vitamin C: 66.4mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 4.4mg